Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Road to Recovery...

The Road To Recovery...still in progress!

How am I feeling about recovery? 

I would say that even though it is hard to not do speed running or any training to reach the goals I have set out at the beginning of the year, I am still grateful to be able to do my run (at an very easy pace: 5:10-6:00 min/km). The doctor advised that I should not go back to my old weekly distance(110km) instead I should run at an easy pace, and stop if I feel any pain, or the need to "gimp". 


This knee injury has been on and off. Some days I can run without any pain, but there are days that I could feel the pain 10-15 minutes into the run. As you can see from my Strava stats (above), my current average weekly distance is 21.2km. I will do 3 runs per week at a very easy pace, and mix it up with some cross training, like pool running. Pool running is not as fun as road running, but one does learn to improve their running form. 

It takes 6-12 weeks for the knees to recovered, and I am on my 4th week. I can see why it takes that long to recover as there is little blood flow going to the injury site (haha, based on my knowledge of the human physiology). All I can do now is continue to put a happy face, and continue running as much as I can (taking rests if I need it). 

What's next? Well, I really want to race, but I should not be in a hurry...just take it easy for now. 

What makes me want to get to running? Well, I want to reach new goals and obtain new performance bests. Plus, with Boston in 2016, I want to be as fit as I can. Running a best marathon time in Boston (preferably a sub-3) would be a dream comes true. However, dream only comes true if one willing to put in the hard work and time to get there! 

My next reason is the great results I have been seeing lately. It is very inspiring to see some fast times at the First Half Half. Congratulations to Trevor Hofbauer ("Nacho Libre" and Jeremy Deere in obtaining 2nd and 5th at the event! Also, it was nice to see some fast times from our Adrenaline Rush team members (Cairns-1:14:42, Keith- 1:14:48, Greg-1:19:59, Pauline-1:21:28, Jordan-1:22:21, Bob-1:31:42, Rustom-1:30:00). A week after the First Half Half, the Adrenaline Rush team got 3rd place overall in Ragnar Del Sol Relay! You guys really motivated me to get better soon, so I may run half of yours speed!

But until then...

#ContinueOnTheRoadtoRecovery









No comments:

Post a Comment